Friday, June 3, 2011

The Lion and the Mouse

       I had heard so much about this book lately and it must be because it recently won the Caldecott medal. I knew it was the perfect time to check into it. The cover alone enticed me to read the story, because it was highly original in concept. I believe it was based off of a fable, but I thought the story was sweet and sent a great message. I think it is important for students to be aware of their actions and how they may affect others, because that's exactly what happens in this book. The lion and the mouse save each other's lives through little gestures of kindness.
      I think little kids would love this story. It's an unlikely match and parts of the story leave the readers on the edge of their seats wondering what's going to happen. I feel this would be a great book to have the children respond to as I read it to them. Asking about their predictions and thoughts on each portion of the book will help engage them further into the story's plot. I will ask students to share their stories of acting kind to another after we've finished reading the book.

The Lion and the Mouse
by: Jerry Pinkney
Published in 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment